As home owners and pet owners, it is often challenging on starting the process on preparing your home for sale.We turned to Diana “Dee” McFadden of Weichert Realtors for her expertise on How to get your Home in “Show Condition” .
If you are thinking about selling your home, the Spring market is just around the corner. It’s a great time to get your home in “show condition”. In today’s virtual world, pictures tell a story.Over 90% of house hunters go online to view your home. Proper planning leads to a successful sale.
Check list of items to address prior to listing your home:
- Is the number of your home visible from the street?
- Clean out closets, cabinets and drawers. Donate items no longer needed to charitable organizations
- If you are going to paint, use neutral colors creams, white, beiges
- Make sure all doors close properly, repair any damaged tracks
- Test all your electrical outlets, you would be surprised how many fail during inspection
- Call your local fire department to make sure your fire extinguisher, smoke detectors/carbon monoxide detectors are up to code
- Locate all construction permits (deck, roof, etc)
- Change batteries in smoke detectors
- Clean and caulk showers and tub
- Ask your mortgage company for an updated mortgage payoff
- Locate your deed and survey as your realtor will need those items
- Trim hedges
- Shampoo carpets
- Fix leaky faucets and running toilets
- Remove debris from gutters
- Clear clutter inside and around the home,plant flowers or hang some flower baskets in front of home
- Clear off counters in kitchen and bathrooms, leaving only essential items out
- Repair broken screens
- Clean refrigerator, stove and garage
- Repair or remove broken blinds
- For rooms that are cluttered,with furniture remove some items and store in basement or garage
- Locate all warranty books for appliances, alarm system, windows, roof, etc.
- Get in the daily habit of cleaning your yard’s dog waste
Get Pets and your yard Prepared
- Make sure your pets have ID tags on, keep litter boxes clean daily and keep an air freshener nearby
- Make arrangements for a dog walker, neighbor or dog daycare to watch your pets for showings and open houses or clear an area in garage or basement for their well being.
Diana (Dee) McFadden
2313 Burlington Mt-Holly Road
Burlington, NJ 08016